City of Kings
The gate takes its name from its proximity to a temple dedicated to Mars, the Roman god of war. This monument, built between the 2nd and 3rd centuries, is the longest arch in the Roman world : 6.4 m high by 32.4 m long. It gave access to the Gallo-Roman town of Durocortorum. It is made of three arches on which original sculptures are still visible : Romulus and Remus, the farm works, Leda and the swan.
Listed as a Monument Historique in 1840